Are you playing the wrong shaft flex?
So what happens if you are playing the "wrong" golf shaft flex? Well, technically there is no wrong shaft flex but there certainly is an optimized shaft flex for your specific swing speed.
The most common mistake, is playing a golf shaft that is too stiff. If you are playing a golf shaft that is too stiff for your swing speed or golf mechanics, you may experience the following.
1. Lower ball flight which leads to less distance.
2. A fade or leaking ball flight. This occurs because the golfer cannot flex the golf shaft enough to create a square impact position.
3. It won't feel great even on center hits.
If you are playing a golf shaft that is too flexible, you may experience the following. (less common)
1. Higher ball flight, regardless of loft which can result in less distance. Which for many golfers is needed.
2. A draw or slightly hooking ball flight. More forward bend of the shaft at impact can cause the face to rotate past square and become closed.
3. Better feel and solid contact
Each golfer should take a look at their natural swing tendencies and club head speed before selecting a shaft flex that will be best for their overall game. A golfer that plays a golf shaft that is too stiff will cause far more harm for their game than by choosing a shaft that is a too soft. So if you are on the fence, choose the softer of the two flexes.
Recommending someone go from a Stiff flex to a Regular flex or especially a Regular to Senior flex is a tough discussion to have, but it will help you optimize and play your best golf.
Get your BombTech clubs now!
Want to learn more and improve your swing? Join our BombTech Golf Academy!